Monday, March 3, 2008

The Perfect Job & How You Get It

After being a part of hosting the PRSSA Regional Activity at AU this past weekend, I found this week's assigned reading very interesting. It tied into what PRSSA and most professionals try to stress: NETWORK!

It's quite simple yet most of the time it is overlooked by students and professionals. The best resource into learning how to network can be found here. The article by Priscilla March is a step-by-step guide to succeed in networking. I wish I had read this before the weekend, but luckily some of the information I already knew.

Another point to add is students or professionals should have business cards. It may sound overrated but I spoke to some professionals who said it makes the student stand out. If you stand out, then you are one step ahead of your competition.

Looking for work in D.C. is definitely competitive so getting an edge can definitely help the odds of getting employed. This would be where networking comes in as a very big component of getting an edge on the competition.



Knowing someone inside a company or knowing the right people can sometimes land you a job you didn't even know existed. I received my previous internship through attending a party. I happened to comment on how I was looking for an internship at the party. I came to find out that the gentleman hosting the party worked at a firm thatwas looking for a new intern. Next thing you know, I was interning at the firm and getting paid.

Eventually, I needed to spread my wings a bit and move on. Therefore, I am back to hoping for another opportunity to reveal itself. The best way to have that happen is to continue networking wherever I go. If it works, then I will be living the high life.

If it doesn't, then at least I will have met some new people and maybe expanded my amount of connections on LinkedIn!


With all that being said, anyone know someone who wants to hire me?

2 comments:

Timur Khalif said...

I know exactly how you feel. Its not easy finding a job. Having the right connects in the right places is also essential to your success. I personally am having a little trouble, but that is because I have not developed a big enough network. That is why everyone stresses networking. The more effort you put in toward making connections and keeping them, the easier it will be for you to get a job!

I also had a similar situation that landed me a job in the summer. I was at a friends birthday and one of his relatives was looking for a summer intern in his law office and offered me the job.

Raphael Jaras said...

I was curious as to how LinkedIN worked and wondering if you actually get E-mail regularly for a possible internship or job. I liked reading about your personal experiences and the evolution of business networking. I also enjoyed reading the link you had from Priscilla March and her tips to succeeding in the business networking world. I also did think think that business cards were overrated but its good to know that its considered very professional. I wish you the best of luck in finding an internship or job too.